Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

The Good Earth

icecream   October 19th, 2010 9:03p.m.

I'm still not able to read Chinese literature so I figured this was the next best thing. Has anybody else read it?

arp   October 19th, 2010 9:14p.m.

Sure, it's a good book; sort of a "classic" for English language readers intersted in China. I read it years ago. Here's a good thread on books about China or set in China, lest that would be of interest.
www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=21193951&comments=11

lennier61   October 20th, 2010 12:43a.m.

Ah! this was my mother´s favorite book, in fact I begun liking China and its culture with this book. Do you remember when Wang Lung´s son corrected a character which has the "earth" radical instead of "wood" one? This simple phrase ignited my desire to learn mandarin chinese.

Nicki   October 20th, 2010 1:05a.m.

Great book.

FatDragon   October 20th, 2010 10:31a.m.

Just for a differing opinion, I wasn't a fan. The plot is kinda like getting on a high-speed train, feeling the exhilaration of the train picking up speed, then once it hits its cruising speed feeling it hit a penny and derail in superslow motion. That's not to say it isn't a valid representation of some timeless truths in life, just that I'm already aware of those truths and I'd rather dwell on something a little less depressing.

FatDragon   October 20th, 2010 10:37a.m.

Also, you may not be able to read Chinese literature in Chinese, but that shouldn't necessarily stop you from reading Chinese literature. I can personally recommend Moss Roberts' translation of The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and there are supposed to be a couple good translations of 水浒传, including one by the acclaimed Ms. Buck by the name of All Men Are Brothers.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!