Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter is missing a common surname character

Bohan   October 19th, 2010 8:31p.m.

When I try to save the character 薑(jiang1), which is the traditional version of 姜, a pop-up shows up that reads "no results found".

This is a really common surname both in China and Taiwan. Taiwanese people never use 姜 to write this surname, even when they're short-hand writing, because to them that's a separtate character that they use only for "ginger".

Skritter guys, please add/load this character.

Bohan   October 19th, 2010 8:34p.m.

Wuups!!! haha, I don't have my head on straight today.

I was wrong about what I just wrote. 姜 is the surname that's used everywhere. 薑 is "ginger" .

Sorry, it's an off day for me

Bohan   October 19th, 2010 8:34p.m.

But it would still be nice if 薑 could be practiced on Skritter

Bohan   October 19th, 2010 8:46p.m.

So, in case I confused anyone with what I wrote, I'll clarify below.

1.姜and 薑 are both read "jiang1"
2. 姜 is a surname and it's used by both Chinese and Taiwanese.
3. In Taiwan, both characters are used, the first being a surname, and the second meaning "ginger". To mainland Chinese, the first character is both a surname and it also means "ginger", but in Taiwan the first character doesn't mean "ginger", only the second one does.
4. In mainland China, as part of simplified Chinese, they've stopped using the second character and the first one serves as both( surname & "ginger")

When I started this thread, I remember incorectly, and thought 薑 is a surname, but I was wrong!!! Sorry about any confusion!!

jww1066   October 19th, 2010 10:38p.m.

And this is why it would be nice to have an "edit" feature for the forum... ;)

Bohan   October 19th, 2010 10:56p.m.

yeah, I would have either deleted or edited the thread title if I could

nick   October 21st, 2010 9:57a.m.

We are working on this and some other traditional variant changes.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!